Unit 3 Activity – coursefighter.com
Writing – coursefighter.com
Unit 3 Activity is due no later than June 24, by 11:59 pm. This assignment is worth 10 points.
Although communication may seem easy and automatic, for some of our students it is a difficult task.
Children who have significant support needs often struggle with every day tasks. At one point, our educational field believed that a child’s intellectual ability was equal to his/her expressive language skills. Therefore, a child who did not communicate verbally or did not communicate well, was considered to have intellectual disabilities.
Today, we know that is not always the case.
Create a communication board using an 8.5×11” sheet of paper. Your board can include graphics (from clip art, Google images, other software programs), words, letters, or numbers. The board must be computer generated.
Choose the setting (when, where, who) in which you will use your communication board. For one hour, YOU cannot use YOUR voice to communicate. Your communication partners should use their voices to communicate– only you will be using an alternate form of communication. You may only use gestures or your communication board (so design your board well!). You cannot use written communication, but you may use a keyboard on your communication board.
Type a thorough reflection paper of your communication board activity. Use an introduction, body, and conclusion format. Describe your setting (one paragraph) and how well you were able to use your board (one paragraph). Also, include a reflection of your thoughts of this experience (at least one paragraph):
- What did you learn?
- In your opinion, how does society typically view individuals who do not verbally communicate?
- Did you find value in this experience?
- Explain how this experience might impact you as a future educator.
You will need to submit both your communication board and written reflection online for credit.
View the rubric to see how your assignment will be graded.
Unit #3 Grading Rubric
1. Correct grammar, correct spelling, clearly organized, introduction, conclusion, fully developed, well written, person-first language, APA style, and editing.
2. Communication Board
3. Setting (at least one paragraph)
4. How well were you able to use your board?
5. Reflection of your thoughts of this experience (at least one paragraph)
I have provided all materials needed if you have any questions please message me. Sometimes I am not on here that much but you can text me at 361-726-6448. Just let me know who you are. Thank you so very much..