GE112 North Alabama Fluvial Geomorphology Perimeter Questions – coursefighter.com
Humanities – coursefighter.com
2. Calculate the wetted perimeter in the different idealized channel segments (values in feet).
3. Calculate the cross-sectional area for each segment.
4. Calculate the hydraulic radius for each of the channel segments.
5. From your calculations, what happens to the hydraulic radius as the wetted perimeter increases?
6. Considering the physical channel structure, why would the wetted perimeter impact the hydraulic radius in this manner?
7. What does this relationship convey about the role of channel geometry to stream velocity?
8. Considering your results and holding particle size and roughness constant, which segment would likely produce aggradation, and which segment would likely produce degradation?2. Calculate the wetted perimeter in the different idealized channel segments (values in feet).
2. Considering that stream runoff is also monitored ½ kilometer from the terminus, is the Wolverine Glacier a temperate or a polar glacier?
3. What is the sum of the Wolverine Glacier net mass balance for the years 1966-1995? (To sum the records, add positive values and subtract negative values)
4. Which season (summer or winter) had the greatest impact (plus or minus) on the net mass balance for 1966-1995?
5. Was the net mass balance of 1965-1995 likely the result of changes in precipitation or of changes in temperature through the study period? Would this change the accumulation rate or the ablation rate of the glacier?
6. Which ablation process is probably the dominant ablation process of the Wolverine Glacier? How do you justify your conclusion?
7. Overall, would the glacier be advancing or retreating? Which data support your answer?