Business Finance – COURSEFIGHER.COM
Effects of Fog on Distance and Speed Perception- COURSE FIGHTER | coursefighter.com
Assignment 2: LASA I—Effects of Fog on Distance and Speed Perception
Imagine you are driving your car on a foggy evening. There is another car in front of you driving at an acceptable speed. The driver of the car in front of you applies the breaks and you apply yours. You believe you have remained behind at what seems to be a safe distance and have slowed down at what seems to be an appropriate speed. However, you suddenly rear-end the car in front of you.
Think about what might have happened to your distance and speed perception and whether the fog had something to do with hampering your judgment.
Read the following two articles regarding the effect of fog on distance and speed perception:
- Brooks, J. O., Crisler, M. C., Klein, N., Goodenough, R., Beeco, R. W., Guirl, C., . . . Beck, C. (2011). Speed choice and driving performance in simulated foggy conditions. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 43(3), 698–705. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com.libproxy.edmc.edu/science
- Caro, S., Cavallo, V., Marendaz, C., Boer, E. R., & Vienne, F. (2009). Can headway reduction in fog be explained by impaired perception of relative motion? Human Factors, 51(3), 378–392. http://hfs.sagepub.com.libproxy.edmc.edu/content/51/3/378.full.pdf+html
Using the above articles, as well as your textbook and module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, explain the sensation and perception processes that led you to misjudge the distance and speed in foggy conditions.
Be sure to address the following in your response:
- What was the path that the image of the car took through the visual system?
- What are the perceptual processes involved in depth (distance) perception and speed (movement) perception?
- How does fog affect these perceptual processes?
- How do the bottom-up and top-down approaches explain your faulty perception of distance and speed?
- What other factors (physiological or environmental) could affect the perception of distance and speed, and cause the accident?
Write a 3–4-page paper in Word format. Be sure to include a title page and a reference page. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.doc.
By Week 3, Day 7, deliver your assignment to the M3: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Traced the path of the
image of the car through the visual system detailing the physiological
structures that the image travels through.
Described the perceptual processes involved in depth (distance) and speed (motion) perception.
Explained how the fog affected these perceptual processes.
Evaluated how the bottom-up and top-down approaches explain the faulty perception of distance and speed.
Hypothesized at least one
physiological and one environmental factor that could have affected the
perception of distance and speed, and caused the accident.
Applied the two required research articles.
Usage and Mechanics (12)
PLACE YOUR ORDER NOW