Nursing 2023 NSG 505 Policy Media Discussion
2023 Choose a source of media information written about a health policy issue – Course Fighter
Choose a source of media information written about a health policy issue; you can use any form of media discussed this week in the classroom theory. Critique the information using criteria presented in determining an unbiased source.
Please use APA format and at least 200 words, no source less than 5 years old
The use of media to influence policy and politics in any environment is familiar in today’s society. The shift from radio, film, and television to social media has had significant impact on political campaigns and advancing policy and agendas with the public and policy makers. Health promotion is portrayed by the media to consumers in 3 ways:
- Public education;
- Social marketing; and
- Media advocacy.
What is the best use of media for promoting health and advocating for the development of policy and effective politics in healthcare? Nurses are experts at vetting for appropriate use of media to deliver their messages in healthcare. Nurses solicit unbiased information which can be used for taking political stands on policy issues. A comprehensive assessment is required of media sources using the same principles for determining quality of patient education materials. Prior to taking a stand based upon particular information on a policy issue, one must ask the following:
- What is the medium for the delivery of the message? Is it a credible site?
- Who is sending the message? Why?
- What is the message, and what rhetoric is used? Is there a “spin doctor” behind the scene?
- Is the message effective in the presentation? and
- Is the message accurate? (Mason et al., 2016, p.132-134)
Opinion editorials (op eds.), talk radio, and blogs are methods which can be used to communicate responses to media generated information. Resources are available on effective steps to approach in communicating one’s response to a media outlet for influencing a public agenda. Box 12-3 outlines Guidelines for Getting Your Message Across and Using Social Media.
Communication and Health Policy and Politics
Communication, both verbal and nonverbal, is vital to successful influence for advancing policy initiatives. Persuasion is a powerful activity, which is most effective with savvy communication skills.
Some skills nursing professionals can apply to improve communication effectiveness in person include:
- First impressions;
- Making conversation;
- Networking in person;
- Business cards; and
- Brief biography (Mason et al., 2016).
Nonverbal communication occurs through our physical demeanor and includes body language and nonverbal cues such as eye contact and body position. The phases of conversation are outlined in Mason et al.(2016), p. 95. These phases are critical to understand for successful communication and impacting health policy and politics.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
During conflict, appropriate communication skills are very important in trying to achieve peaceful resolution of the inherent issues at hand. Strategies for preparation of effective communication are outlined on page 78 of Mason et al. Daily preparation in your workplace can enhance your ability to strategically communicate as a leader in nursing. Key principles are outlined in Chapter 9 which can be applied starting now as you are on this journey to advancing your knowledge on skills at a graduate nursing level.
- Click the “Order Now” button to reach our online order form. Share your requirements (word count, deadline, topic, referencing style, etc.) and submit them.
- Pay via PayPal, credit card, debit card, or online banking with our reliable gateway. We provide 100% secure transfer.
- One of our certified writers will work on your assignment and deliver it to your registered email ID along with a free “Plagiarism Report” to prove the originality of the work.