Nursing 2023 GU/Reproductive Unit
2023 Adult Health 1 Study Guide GU Reproductive Unit Chapters 53 55 59 Remember that assigned textbook readings should – Course Fighter
Adult Health 1 Study Guide
Chapters 53, 55, & 59
Remember that assigned textbook readings should be supplemental to reviewing & studying the Powerpoint presentations. Answers to these study guide questions can be obtained from the textbook chapters, powerpoint presentations, as well as class lectures & in-class activities.
Chapter 53: Assessment of Kidney & Urinary Function
*This chapter is an overview of the anatomy, functions, assessments, & diagnostics of the renal & urinary systems. Please review this chapter as a refresher of the basic structures & functioning of these systems to help you better understand the conditions we will discuss for these units.
Chapter 55: Management of Patients with Urinary Disorders – p. 1615-1622 & p. 1632-1637
Conditions to Know: UTIs, Nephrolithiasis (Kidney Stones)
1. What are some risk factors for the development of UTIs? See Chart 55-2.
2. What are some factors that contribute to the development of UTIs in older adults?
3. What are the signs and symptoms of a UTI?
4. How are UTIs diagnosed?
5. How are UTIs treated?
6. Describe the nursing interventions that are necessary when caring for a patient with a UTI.
7. What are some teaching points you would want to include in your patient education regarding the prevention of UTIs? See Chart 55-5.
8. What are some clinical manifestations of kidney stones?
9. What are the goals of management for a patient diagnosed with a kidney stone?
10. Describe the nursing care necessary when caring for a patient with a kidney stone.
11. If a patient is unable to pass a stone on their own, what other procedures or surgical interventions may be necessary to eradicate the stone?
12. What are some teaching points you would want to include in your patient education regarding the prevention of kidney stones? See Chart 55-12.
Chapter 59: Assessment & Management of Patients with Male Reproductive Disorders – p. 1762-1778
Conditions to Know: BPH, Prostate Cancer
1. What is BPH and what are some risk factors for the development of this condition?
2. What are some signs and symptoms associated with BPH?
3. How is BPH diagnosed?
4. Describe the medications used to help treat symptoms of BPH – mechanism of action, adverse effects, & patient teaching points for alpha-adrenergic blockers (tamsulosin) & 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors (finasteride).
5. What is a TURP procedure and how does it help manage BPH?
6. Describe the nursing responsibilities necessary when caring for a patient connected to continuous bladder irrigation (CBI) following a TURP procedure.
7. What post-op education points are important to include in your teaching for a patient following a TURP/CBI?
8. What are some risk factors for the development of prostate cancer?
9. Prostate cancer in early stages rarely produces symptoms. What are some clinical manifestations that may be seen that may indicate progressive (metastasis) prostate cancer?
10. How is prostate cancer diagnosed?
- Click the “Order Now” button to reach our online order form. Share your requirements (word count, deadline, topic, referencing style, etc.) and submit them.
- Pay via PayPal, credit card, debit card, or online banking with our reliable gateway. We provide 100% secure transfer.
- One of our certified writers will work on your assignment and deliver it to your registered email ID along with a free “Plagiarism Report” to prove the originality of the work.